Plan your philanthropic legacy
Philanthropy is a tradition as old as human civilization. It’s how we articulate and act on our values. It unites families around a common cause and connects generations to create longstanding legacies of service, financial preservation, and doing good—in the communities we live in and around the globe. Philanthropy is more than responding to individual solicitations with one-time gifts. It is strategic, built for long-term impact, and aligned to a purposeful mission.
Key steps to grow your philanthropy:
Determine your values. An essential first step in helping you understand your motivation for giving and creating a strategic, proactive philanthropic plan.
- Find your charitable connection. Focusing on your values can help you connect to the charitable causes most meaningful to you.
- Define your mission. A mission statement can help focus your philanthropic plan.
- Understand your assets. What you give may be more important than how much you give.
- Consider your giving vehicle. Focus on what best supports your philanthropic goals.
- Plan your charitable potential. Thinking through your philanthropic budget is a vital part of being more strategic with your charitable giving.
- Choose your charities. Identify organizations that will help you advance your mission and make a lasting impact.
- Look ahead and putting your plan into action.
We designed our guide to help you thoughtfully identify the values that are most important to you. You will use those values to build a strategic philanthropic roadmap that maximizes impact. Resources, best practices, guided questions, and reflective activities will help you set your philanthropic goals. You can complete this guide individually, with your family, or with your trusted advisor.