Home > Open Account
Consent to Terms and Electronic Delivery
To open a charitable giving account online, you must first agree to receive certain communications electronically from Vanguard Charitable, such as:
- Account statements
- Activity confirmations, and
- Tax substantiation letters.
If you choose 'I don't agree' you cannot open a Vanguard Charity account online. Instead, you must download or request paper forms to enroll by mail.
Clicking 'I agree' indicates that you have read and agree to the terms of the following documents. Click on each document to learn more:
Proceed through the steps until you reach the Account Summary page or until you receive an account number that starts with the letter 'A'. Once you reach either point, you have successfully opened an account.
When you donate to Vanguard Charitable and/or have contact with its employees, including use of the non-public areas of the Site, you may provide us with (1) personally identifiable information, including your name, mailing and email addresses, other contact information in which you are identified or from which you can be identified; and (2) financial information specifically linked to your account (collectively, "Personal Data").
- As expressly authorized elsewhere by you or your authorized representative. Please note that permission from one account advisor to share information with a designated representative of the Vanguard Group, Inc. applies to the entire account;
- To comply with applicable laws, regulations, court orders or other valid legal processes, to protect the rights or property of Vanguard Charitable, and/or in responding to complaints or safety or security concerns;
- In order to complete certain transactions or account changes that you direct, it may be necessary to provide identifying information about you or a transaction(s) on your account to companies, individuals, or groups that are not affiliated with Vanguard Charitable. For example, if you ask to transfer assets from another financial institution to Vanguard Charitable, we may need to provide certain information about you to that company to complete the transaction;
- To service providers and advisors designated by Vanguard Charitable for the limited purposes of providing the applicable services, or for research and analysis or similar purposes to better serve you and/or the philanthropic community. For example, if you experience a technical problem, we may need to provide certain information about you or your account to one of our third-party technology vendors to diagnose or troubleshoot. Any third parties to whom Personal Data is disclosed will be bound by agreements between Vanguard Charitable and the authorized service providers that protect the confidentiality of your Personal Data; and/or
- to any successor to Vanguard Charitable's business or any acquirer of Vanguard Charitable's principal assets.
Vanguard Charitable may use your Personal Data to help us better serve your philanthropic interests, to personalize your Site experience, to suggest Vanguard Charitable's services or educational materials that may be of interest to you, to better serve you in responding to your inquiries or requests, to enforce agreements with you and our policies, to administer the Site and communicate notices, updates and other information regarding the Site, or to provide you with other services in connection with your account.
A web beacon, also known as a pixel tag, is a tiny transparent image embedded in a web page or an email to measure usage and activity. In some cases, a web beacon triggers the placement of a persistent cookie on your computer. Web beacons allow us, directly or through third-party service providers, to collect information used for website analytics, such as how many users have visited particular pages or downloaded documents on our Site, or how frequently users search for a particular term on our Site.
Vanguard Charitable or its designated service providers may collect and share non-personally identifiable information about the users of the Site and participants in other activity in aggregate form with third parties, including our vendors, for statistical analysis purposes, to improve the content or the services offered through the Site or for other commercially reasonable business purposes.
In some situations, we may use forms of online communication that are intended to provide security and privacy when you access or amend your account information, initiate online transactions, or send "secure" messages. Although Vanguard Charitable takes reasonable precautions to assess the reliability of such technology, it relies on the statements of the vendors of those products and services as part of its security evaluation. Vanguard Charitable does not warrant against any damage, loss or unauthorized disclosure of information even if the functionality of the Site or any services or communication are labeled as, or otherwise implied to be, "secure."
We also restrict access to your Personal Data to those authorized Vanguard Charitable staff members (associates) or Vanguard Charitable's designated service providers who have a need for these records. As an added measure, we endeavor not to include Personal Data in non-secure emails that we may send you via the Internet. Please note that although Vanguard Charitable has endeavored to create a secure and reliable Site for users, and employs reasonable precautions to protect Personal Data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction, the confidentiality and security of any communication or material transmitted to or from the Site or in other paper and electronic communication cannot be fully guaranteed.
We may transfer your Personal Data into and/or out of the United States, and you hereby consent to any such transfer.
Under California's "Shine the Light" law, California residents who provide personal information in obtaining products or services for personal, family or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us once a calendar year information about the personal information we shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of such information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared such information for the immediately prior calendar year (e.g., requests made in 2016 will receive information regarding 2015 sharing activities).
To obtain this information from us please send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Request for California Privacy Information" on the subject line and in the body of your message. We will provide the requested information to you at your e-mail address in response. Not all information sharing is covered by the "Shine the Light" requirements and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.
If a child has provided us with Personal Data, a parent or legal guardian of that child may send an email message to email@example.com with “Request for Child Information Removal” on the subject line and the name and age of the child in the body of the message. We will then make reasonable efforts to delete the child's information from the database that stores information for the Site, provided that we may retain and use any information in connection with the operation of the account. You can update or remove information, which you have submitted, through your account.
P.O. Box 9509
Warwick, RI 02889-9509
If you are a European resident, you have certain rights in relation to your Personal Data under the applicable European data privacy laws. This section only applies to such users. Under applicable European data privacy laws, Vanguard Charitable is the data controller. We collect Personal Data from sources such as public registers, social media, publicly accessible websites and also pay for access to data subscription services such as Wealthfront.
Rights to Control Personal Data
We use your Personal Data for the following key purposes:
- to contact you: subject to applicable law, we or our third-party service and business providers may send you communications. Such communications are designed to make your experience of our Site more efficient and may include, but are not limited to: communications about our organization and other notifications including important news that could affect your relationship with us. Where required under applicable data privacy laws, we will not send you marketing communications without your prior consent;
- for legal purposes: we may use and share Personal Data for legal purposes, including financial, regulatory, tax and other legal obligations and to respond to governmental or regulatory requests or subpoenas or for litigation purposes;
- for our legitimate interests and those of a third party: we may use your Personal Data to manage our legal, regulatory, financial and business requirements, including obtaining legal advice, in the course of disputes and litigation, internal and/or regulatory investigations and other legitimate interests;
- for our business purposes: we may use your Personal Data to help us manage the objectives of our organization;
- for other purposes: subject to applicable law, we may use your Personal Data for additional purposes in connection with the Site or our organization, where you have provided your prior consent
Sharing your Personal Data
We share your Personal Data with third parties to help us use your Personal Data, as described in the above policy and in addition, we may need to share your Personal Data with our professional tax, legal, audit or financial advisors. We may also share your Personal Data when we receive requests for information in the context of legal disputes, investigations regulatory inquiries or similar requests.
Tracking Tools (“Cookies”)
Retention of Personal Data
We will only retain your Personal Data for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the Personal Data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your Personal Data, the purposes for which we process your Personal Data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and applicable legal requirements.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your Personal Data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your Personal Data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your Personal Data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
If you have any concerns regarding how we are handling your Personal Data, please contact us. We will strive to deal with your concerns promptly. If you wish to complain about the handling of your Personal Data outside of Vanguard Charitable, you have the right to raise a complaint with a supervisory authority in your country of residence if applicable under European data privacy laws.
Welcome to the vanguardcharitable.org website (the "Site") owned and operated by the Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program ("Vanguard Charitable" or "we" or "us"). This Agreement contains the terms and conditions (the "Terms" or "Agreement") upon which you (the "User") may access and use the public areas of this Site and the information, materials, software, applications, products and services, including, without limitation, pages, text, data and images and other content (collectively, "Content") found thereon. The password-protected areas of this Site are available only to individuals who have been properly identified to Vanguard Charitable as authorized persons with respect to a designated Philanthropic Account(s), and where required, have executed an Interested Party Account Access Authorization form (each, an "Authorized Person"). The use of the password-protected areas of this Site is governed by a separate User Agreement.
The Site is designed to provide the public with information regarding Vanguard Charitable and to help donors and their financial advisors access donor-advised accounts and use information, initiate contributions, recommend the reallocation of investments and make grant recommendations through the Site. The Site is available only to Users (also referred to as "you" herein) who agree to the Terms in this Agreement.
Please read the following Terms carefully before using this Site. By using the Site, you signify your acceptance of our Terms. If you do not agree to these Terms, you may not use the Site.
Vanguard Charitable reserves the right, at its discretion, to change, modify, add, or remove portions of these Terms at any time. We suggest that you check these Terms periodically for changes. The Terms can be accessed from the link at the bottom of the Site's pages. Your continued use of the Site following reasonable notice of such modifications will be conclusively deemed acceptance of any changes to these Terms. Vanguard Charitable expressly reserves the right to monitor any and all use of this Site.
These Terms provide you, the User, with a personal, revocable, nonexclusive, nontransferable, limited license to use this Site conditioned on your continued compliance with the Terms. All Users may print, download and distribute limited portions of the Content available in the public areas of the Site, provided that all hard copies contain all copyright and other applicable proprietary rights notices included in such Content. Except as otherwise expressly permitted herein, a User may not reproduce, modify, create derivatives of, distribute, broadcast, transmit, reproduce, publish, mirror, frame, license, transfer, sell, or otherwise use any information or other Content obtained from or through the Site. As a further condition of use of the Site, all Users warrant to Vanguard Charitable that they will not use this Site for any purpose that is unlawful or otherwise prohibited by these Terms.
Commercial and other web sites may include a link to the non-password-protected areas of the Site, so long as any such link satisfies all five (5) of the following requirements:
- Indicates clearly that the link will lead to the web site of "The Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program" (referenced in plain block letter form), and does not otherwise use the logos or stylized form of THE VANGUARD CHARITABLE ENDOWMENT PROGRAM trade/service mark.
- Does not falsely represent or suggest any relationship between the linking site and Vanguard Charitable (including suggestions of affiliation, endorsement, or sponsorship).
- Does not portray Vanguard Charitable in a false, misleading, derogatory or otherwise offensive manner.
- Delivers Vanguard Charitable Content outside of a framed environment and maintains the integrity of the layout, Content, and "look and feel" of the Site.
- Delivers users to the Site unaltered, unmodified, unadulterated in any way by the linking site.
A site that complies with all five (5) of the above requirements may also offer a link to other content within the Site, so long as any such link also meets requirements 2 through 5 above.
This foregoing license expressly prohibits the framing of Vanguard Charitable's Content in any way or any other activity, specifically including, but not limited to, referencing "Vanguard Charitable" or "Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program" as a metatag, keyword, or in any other manner that risks creating a misimpression or confusion among the public that the services and/or goods offered on the linked site are in any way sponsored or endorsed by, or associated or affiliated with, Vanguard Charitable.
If the linking site satisfies the foregoing requirements, Vanguard Charitable may include on the Site a reciprocal link to the home page of the linking site in Vanguard Charitable's sole discretion.
You may not:
- Reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, or distribute in any way Content from the Site or any web site owned, operated, licensed, or controlled by Vanguard Charitable, in whole or in part, except as specifically provided under the limited licenses set forth above.
- Copy, modify, or display Vanguard Charitable's name, logo, text, or graphic images in any way without Vanguard Charitable's express written permission, except as set forth in the limited licenses above.
- Redeliver any of the pages, text, images, or other Content of the Site using "framing" technology Vanguard Charitable's express written permission.
- Modify or use the pages, text, images, or other Content from the Site for any unauthorized purpose; doing so is a violation of Vanguard Charitable's copyrights and other proprietary rights.
- Include the term "Vanguard," any Vanguard Charitable trademark, any Vanguard Charitable executive's name, or any variation of any of the foregoing, as a metatag, keyword, hidden textual element, or any other indicator that risks creating a misimpression or confusion among the public that the User or the services and/or goods offered on any linked site are in any way sponsored or endorsed by, or associated or affiliated with, Vanguard Charitable.
All material contained on this Site, unless otherwise indicated, is protected by law including, but not limited to, United States copyright, trade secret (for password protected areas), and trademark law, as well as other state, national, and international laws and regulations. Except as expressly provided herein, Vanguard Charitable does not grant any express or implied right(s) to Users of this Site
Except as otherwise specified, all material and other Content on the Site is "Copyright 1999 - 2016 Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program. All rights reserved" Removing or altering the copyright notice on any material on this Site is prohibited. Vanguard Charitable also owns a copyright in the Site as a collective work and/or compilation, and in the selection, coordination, arrangement, and enhancement of the Site's Content.
All trademarks, service marks, and trade names displayed on this Site are either proprietary to Vanguard Charitable or licensed for use by Vanguard Charitable, except as explicitly noted otherwise. The marks VANGUARD, THE VANGUARD GROUP, and the Ship Logo are trade/service marks of The Vanguard Group, Inc.
We value hearing from our Users, and are always interested in learning about ways we can make the Site better. If you choose to submit comments, ideas or feedback, you agree that we are free to use them without any restriction or compensation to you.
If you know or suspect that any of the materials on this Site have been used or copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please send notice to Vanguard Charitable's designated agent identified below. According to the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), 17 U.S.C. Sec. 512(c)(3), your notice must comply with the following requirements:
- A physical or electronic signature of the copyright owner or person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- A physical or electronic signature of the copyright owner or person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact you, such as address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which you may be contacted;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate and under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
The designated agent for notice of copyright infringement claims may be reached as follows:
By Mail: Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program, 400 Devon Park Drive, D29, Wayne, PA 19087
By Fax:Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program - (888) 426-3273
You acknowledge that if you fail to comply with all of these requirements, your DMCA notice may not be valid.
If you believe that your content that was removed (or to which access was disabled) is not infringing, or that you have the authorization from the copyright owner, the copyright owner's agent, or pursuant to the law, to post and use the material in your content, you may send a counter-notice containing the following information to the designated agent:
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- Identification of the content that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the content appeared before it was removed or disabled;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the content was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or a misidentification of the content; and
- Your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address, a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the courts in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and a statement that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement. If a counter-notice is received by the designated agent, we may send a copy of the counter-notice to the original complaining party informing that person that it may replace the removed content or cease disabling it. Unless the copyright owner files an action seeking a court order against the content provider or user, the removed content may be replaced, or access to it restored, after receipt of the counter-notice, in our sole discretion.
If a counter-notice is received by the designated agent, we may send a copy of the counter-notice to the original complaining party informing that person that it may replace the removed content or cease disabling it. Unless the copyright owner files an action seeking a court order against the content provider or user, the removed content may be replaced, or access to it restored, after receipt of the counter-notice, in our sole discretion.
You agree not to use this Site for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms, including but not limited to attempting or actually
- committing a criminal offense or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offense or give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any local, state, Federal, or international law or regulation, including but not limited to export control laws and regulations governing the transmission, export, retransmission, or re-export of technical data from the United States;
- disrupting, impairing or otherwise interfering with the operation or integrity of the Site or circumventing any Site security system;
- imposing an unreasonable load on the Site's infrastructure or infecting it with viruses, worms, or other malicious computer programs upload;
- reverse engineering or decompiling the software comprising the Site;
- accessing the Site or any portion of the Site without authorization or in a way that exceeds your authorization;
- collecting any information about other users of the Site;
- systematically extracting data contained in the Site to populate databases for internal or external use;
- reproducing, duplicating, copying, using, distributing, selling, reselling, or otherwise exploiting for any commercial purposes, any portion of the Site or any material or information obtained on or through the Site;
- altering, damaging, or deleting any Site Content or otherwise disrupting, interfering or otherwise negatively affecting the ability of others to access or use the Site;
- claiming a relationship with or speak for any individual, business, association, institution, or other organization for which you are not authorized to claim such a relationship (including but not limited to Vanguard Charitable);
- providing false or misleading personal information or email addresses, or impersonate any other person or entity;
- harming minors in any way;
- stalking or otherwise harassing another person; and/or
- uploading, posting, e-mailing, or otherwise transmitting any (1) material that is unlawful, threatening, libelous, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, pornographic, profane, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or ethnically, racially, or otherwise objectionable, (2) material that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights of any person, or (3) unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, or other forms of solicitation to other users including, without limitation, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," or "pyramid schemes."
Some portions or features of the Site may give you the ability to share information and other Content with other Users. You are solely responsible for any Content that you submit. You acknowledge that the Site is merely passively providing you the means to produce and distribute your Content and view other Users' Content. You hereby represent, warrant and covenant that:
- you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish Content you submit;
- your Content does not and will not violate any term of this Agreement; and
- except to the extent authorized by Vanguard Charitable in writing, your Content does not include any advertisements, promotions, or solicitations of business.
We do not endorse any User Content available via the Site, or any opinion, recommendation or advice expressed therein, and expressly disclaim any and all liability in connection with User Content.
You use the Internet solely at your own risk and subject to all applicable local, state, national, and international laws and regulations. Vanguard Charitable is not responsible for the security of any information transmitted via the Internet, the accuracy of the information contained on the Site, or for the consequences of any reliance on such information. Vanguard Charitable shall have no liability for interruptions or omissions in Internet, network or hosting services. You assume the sole and complete risk of using this Site.
Vanguard Charitable is in no way responsible for the content of any site owned by a third party that may be linked to the Site via hyperlink, whether such hyperlink is provided by Vanguard Charitable or by a third party. Vanguard Charitable makes no representation or warranty with respect to the accuracy, timeliness, non-infringement, or suitability of the content of any site to which Vanguard Charitable's Site may link, including information on the linked site regarding Vanguard Charitable's Site, and Vanguard Charitable takes no responsibility therefore. By providing access to other web sites, Vanguard Charitable is not recommending the donation, purchase or sale of any investments offered by any company, nor is it endorsing services provided by any web site's sponsoring organization.
Vanguard Charitable likewise is not responsible for Content that appears on Vanguard Charitable's Site that may be provided by a third party.
The site and all of its content are provided on an "as is" basis and are made available without representation or warranty of any kind. Vanguard charitable disclaims, to the fullest extent of the law, any warranty of any kind, whether express or implied, as to any matter whatsoever relating to this site or its content including, without limitation, any express or implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, suitability, accuracy and/or non-infringement. Use of this site is at your own risk. Vanguard charitable does not represent that or warrant that the use of the site will be uninterrupted or error-free, that content defects will be corrected, or that the site or the service that makes the site available are free of viruses or other harmful components. As between you and vanguard charitable, you assume the risk of damage and the entire cost of all necessary service, repair, or correction of your computer and related systems arising from your use of the site
Reference to a fund, security or other investment anywhere on the site is not a recommendation to buy, sell, donate or hold that or any other investment. The information provided herein is for educational purposes only. Such information is not intended to be relied upon by you in lieu of tax or legal advice. Consult with a tax advisor or attorney for information related to your specific situation.
Under no circumstances will vanguard charitable be liable to you or any other person, even in the event of vanguard charitable's or its service providers' negligence, for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages of any kind under any theory arising from your use of or inability to use the site or the content provided herein including, but not limited to, compensation, reimbursement or damages on account of the loss of present or prospective profits, expenditures, investments or commitments, business goodwill, data, cost of substitute materials, products, services or information, or arising from the claims of third parties, or for any other reason whatsoever, even if vanguard charitable or its service providers have been advised of the possibility of such damages.
Moreover, vanguard charitable and its service providers shall not be liable to you or any other person for damages or injury, including but not limited to damages or injury caused by any performance, failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, alteration of, or use of the site or its content, whether resulting, in whole or in part, from vanguard charitable's or its service providers' breach of contract, tortious behavior, negligence, or otherwise
If you live in a state that does not permit the foregoing limitation, in no event shall vanguard charitable's total liability to you for damages, losses, and causes of action, whether in contract, tort (including, but not limited to, negligence), or otherwise, exceed the amount paid by you, if any, for accessing vanguard charitable's site.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Vanguard Charitable, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and related companies, its service providers, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, legal representatives, agents, successors and assigns, from and against any claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees and court costs) arising out of or related to your use of the Site or any breach by you of this Agreement.
Unless otherwise specified, Vanguard Charitable controls and operates this Site from our offices within the United States of America. If you choose to access this Site from jurisdictions other than the United States, you do so on your own initiative, and you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws.
This Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, without reference to its conflicts of law principles. You hereby consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state or federal courts located in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, specifically in the Court of Common Pleas of Chester County, Pennsylvania, or the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, in any action arising out of or relating to this Agreement.
Vanguard Charitable may terminate this Agreement immediately without notice if, as determined in Vanguard Charitable's sole discretion, you fail to comply with any term or provision of these Terms.
If any provision of these Terms is deemed unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision will be deemed severable from these Terms and will not affect the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions.
The preceding Terms represent the entire agreement between Vanguard Charitable and the User relating to the use of the public portion of the Site, and supersede all prior or contemporaneous communications, agreements or proposals, whether electronic, oral, or written between you and Vanguard Charitable regarding same. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.
Subject to your continued compliance with the terms of this User Agreement, we hereby grant you a personal, revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license (without the right to sublicense) to use this Secure Site and the Content solely in connection with the Donor-Advised Account(s) with respect to which you are an Authorized Person and only in accordance with the Policies and Guidelines ("Permitted Use"). Authorized Persons may print, download and distribute to their respective financial advisors, attorneys or other legal representatives or agents the Content available on the Secure Site relating to their respective accounts, provided that all such copies contain all copyright and other applicable proprietary rights notices included in such Content (without any alteration of such notices). You are solely responsible for any reliance upon or use of such Content. Except as otherwise expressly permitted herein, you may not reproduce, modify, create derivatives of, distribute, broadcast, transmit, publish, mirror, frame, sublicense, transfer, sell, or otherwise use any Content obtained from or through the Secure Site. As a further condition of your use of the Secure Site, you hereby represent and warrant to Vanguard Charitable that you will not use this Secure Site for any purpose that is unlawful or otherwise prohibited by this User Agreement or the Polices and Guidelines.
Vanguard Charitable specifically prohibits the following uses of the Secure Site or the Content and you agree that you shall not:
- use the Secure Site or the Content for any purpose other than is authorized by this User Agreement or, if applicable, the Interested Party Account Access Authorization form;
- engage in any activity that does not comply with U.S. law or other applicable law or regulations or otherwise engage in any illegal, manipulative or misleading activity through the use of the Secure Site or the Content;
- use the Secure Site or the Content for the benefit of any third party or provide any third party with access to the Secure Site or the Content by any means, other than as is necessary in connection with a Permitted Use;
- reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, or distribute in any way Content from the Secure Site, in whole or in part, except as necessary in connection with a Permitted Use;
- modify the Content obtained via the Secure Site, except as necessary in connection with a Permitted Use;
- disassemble, decode, decompile, or otherwise reverse engineer the Secure Site, including, without limitation, any interfaces or software programs comprising the Secure Site;
- take any action that would impede or interfere with the operation of the Secure Site or alter the Content;
- directly or indirectly, change, recompile, reframe, rent, sell, distribute or publish the Secure Site and/or the Content, or any portion thereof;
- redeliver any of the pages, text, images, or other Content of the Secure Site using "framing" technology without Vanguard Charitable's express written permission;
- copy, modify, or display Vanguard Charitable's name, logo, text, or graphic images in any way without Vanguard Charitable's express written permission, except as specifically permitted herein;
- include the term "Vanguard," any Vanguard Charitable trademark, any Vanguard Charitable executive's name, or any variation of any of the foregoing, as a metatag, keyword, hidden textual element, or any other indicator that risks creating a misimpression or confusion among the public, including any risk of misimpression that you or the services and/or goods offered by you are in any way sponsored or endorsed by, or associated or affiliated with, Vanguard Charitable; or
- use the Secure Site and/or the Content, directly or indirectly, in competition with Vanguard Charitable in any way whatsoever, including linking to any site competitive with Vanguard Charitable, or its parent, affiliate, subsidiary, or related company.
We reserve the right to monitor your use of the Secure Site to ensure compliance with this User Agreement and to prevent fraudulent use. If such monitoring indicates that you are not in compliance with this User Agreement or if fraudulent activity is suspected, Vanguard Charitable reserves the right to take such action as it deems necessary or appropriate, including, without limitation, immediate suspension or termination of any or all of your rights under this User Agreement without any liability. Moreover, any information obtained by monitoring, reviewing, or recording is subject to review by law enforcement organizations in connection with investigation or prosecution of possible criminal activity on the Secure Site. Vanguard Charitable may also comply with all court orders involving requests for such information.
You may print, download and distribute to other Authorized Persons and to the professional advisors, attorneys or other legal representatives or agents properly authorized by a Donor to have access to information regarding such Donor's Account(s) Content available on the Secure Site relating to such Donor-Advised Account(s) solely as is necessary in connection with a Permitted Use, provided that all such copies contain all copyright and other applicable proprietary rights notices included in such Content (without any alteration of such notices).
You may use "aggregators" or similar web crawler devices for the purpose of aggregating information regarding the Donor-Advised Account(s) with respect to which you are an Authorized Person. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Vanguard Charitable may prevent in its discretion, the systematic, commercial or otherwise inappropriate use of devices or software designed to provide repeated or automated access to, or corruption or interruption of, the Secure Site and the information contained therein by means including, but not limited to, viruses, web crawlers, spiders, robots, bots, automatic indexers, ants and worms.
You understand and agree that, as part of your use of the Secure Site, Vanguard Charitable or its agents may send to you certain communications from time to time, including Vanguard Charitable service announcements, such as announcements regarding possible interruptions or other conditions that may affect access to and/or use of the Secure Site, and other administrative updates. You agree to provide Vanguard Charitable with your current email address, promptly provide Vanguard Charitable with any changes to your email address, and you agree to accept electronic communications from Vanguard Charitable at the email address you specify. You further understand and agree that your agreement to receive such communications is a condition to your use of the Secure Site or the Content, and you will not be able to opt out of receiving them. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any new or modified feature or Content of the Secure Site shall be subject to this User Agreement. You hereby consent to receiving any notice provided or required hereunder via electronic means.
As between you and Vanguard Charitable, all rights, title and interest in and to the Secure Site, including, without limitation, all Content, software, code, data and materials thereon, the look and feel, design and organization of the Secure Site, and compilations of the foregoing, is the exclusive property of Vanguard Charitable, its affiliates, content or service providers, or any of their contractors, as applicable. All material contained on this Secure Site, unless otherwise indicated, is protected by law including, but not limited to, United States copyright, trade secret, and trademark law, as well as other state, national, and international laws and regulations. Except as expressly provided herein, Vanguard Charitable does not grant any express or implied right(s) to users of the Secure Site.
Except as otherwise specified, the Content is "Copyright 1999 - 2016 Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program. All rights reserved." Removing or altering the copyright notice on any Content on this Secure Site is prohibited. You shall retain all copyright, trademark, service mark and other proprietary notices contained in the Content on any authorized copy you make of such Content.
All trademarks, service marks, and trade names displayed on this Secure Site are either proprietary to Vanguard Charitable or licensed for use by us, except as explicitly noted otherwise. The marks VANGUARD, THE VANGUARD GROUP, and the Ship Logo are trade/service marks of The Vanguard Group, Inc.
You are prohibited by this User Agreement and applicable law from infringing on or violating any copyright, service mark, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property, privacy or other right of any kind in connection with your use of the Secure Site or the Content.
You shall maintain the confidentiality of the user name(s) and password(s) by which you access the Secure Site or the Content, and you shall not allow any program, expert system, electronic agent, bot, or other automated means to access the Secure Site. Any use of your user name(s) and password(s) will be deemed to be your use and you shall be responsible for all uses of your user name(s) and password(s), whether or not authorized by you. You agree immediately to notify Vanguard Charitable if you become aware of any loss or theft of your user name(s) or password(s), or any unauthorized use of any of your user name(s), password(s), the Secure Site or any Content. You agree that, unless you have first notified us immediately of any such security breach, we should assume that any instruction or information entered using your user name(s) and password(s) is yours and has been authorized by you, and we will have no obligation to inquire into the propriety of such instruction. You will not permit any use of the Secure Site or the Content that would damage, interfere with or unreasonably overload the Secure Site.
The Protected Entities (as defined below) shall not have any responsibility or liability to you or to any other person whose claim may arise through you for any claims with respect to the handling or mishandling of your user name(s) or password(s). You shall be fully responsible for the monitoring of the use of and the security surrounding your user name(s) and password(s).
The Protected Entities (as defined below) are in no way responsible for the content of any site owned or controlled by a third party that may be linked to the Secure Site via hyperlink, whether such hyperlink is provided by Vanguard Charitable or by a third party. The Protected Entities make no representation or warranty with respect to the accuracy, timeliness, non-infringement, or suitability of the content of any site to which the Secure Site may link and Vanguard Charitable takes no responsibility therefore. By providing access to other websites, Vanguard Charitable is not recommending the donation, purchase or sale of any investments offered by any company, nor is it endorsing services provided by any website's sponsoring organization.
The Protected Entities likewise do not represent, warrant or guarantee the accuracy, quality, completeness, currency or validity of any Content that may be provided by a third party.
Your use of the Internet is solely at your own risk and is subject to all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations. While Vanguard Charitable has endeavored to create a secure and reliable Secure Site, please be advised that the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to or from this Secure Site over the Internet cannot be guaranteed. Accordingly, the Protected Entities (as defined below) are not responsible for the security of any information transmitted via the Internet, the accuracy of the information contained on the Secure Site, or for the consequences of any reliance on such information. Moreover, the Protected Entities will not be liable for any loss resulting from interruptions or omissions in Internet, communications, data processing, network or hosting services. You assume the sole and complete risk of using the Secure Site.
THE SECURE SITE AND ALL OF ITS CONTENT ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AND ARE MADE AVAILABLE WITHOUT REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. VANGUARD CHARITABLE, INCLUDING ITS AFFILIATES, CONTENT OR SERVICE PROVIDERS, AND ALL OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, LEGAL REPRESENTATIVES, AGENTS, CONTRACTORS, SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS (COLLECTIVELY, THE "PROTECTED ENTITIES") DISCLAIM, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO ANY MATTER WHATSOEVER RELATING TO THIS SECURE SITE OR ITS CONTENT INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SUITABILITY, ACCURACY AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. USE OF THIS SECURE SITE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE PROTECTED ENTITIES DO NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE USE OF THE SECURE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT CONTENT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE SECURE SITE OR THE SERVICE THAT MAKES THE SECURE SITE AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. AS BETWEEN YOU AND THE PROTECTED ENTITIES, YOU ASSUME THE RISK OF DAMAGE AND THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICE, REPAIR, OR CORRECTION OF YOUR COMPUTER AND RELATED SYSTEMS ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SECURE SITE OR THE CONTENT.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE PROTECTED ENTITIES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON, EVEN IN THE EVENT OF SUCH PROTECTED ENTITIES' NEGLIGENCE, FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND UNDER ANY THEORY ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SECURE SITE OR THE CONTENT INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, COMPENSATION, REIMBURSEMENT OR DAMAGES ON ACCOUNT OF THE LOSS OF PRESENT OR PROSPECTIVE PROFITS, EXPENDITURES, INVESTMENTS OR COMMITMENTS, BUSINESS GOODWILL, DATA, COST OF SUBSTITUTE MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, SERVICES OR INFORMATION, OR ARISING FROM THE CLAIMS OF THIRD PARTIES, OR FOR ANY OTHER REASON WHATSOEVER, EVEN IF THE PROTECTED ENTITIES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
MOREOVER, THE PROTECTED ENTITIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR DAMAGES OR INJURY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DAMAGES OR INJURY CAUSED BY ANY PERFORMANCE, FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DELETION, DEFECT, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMPUTER VIRUS, COMMUNICATIONS LINE FAILURE, THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO, ALTERATION OF, OR USE OF THE SECURE SITE OR THE CONTENT, WHETHER RESULTING, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FROM THE PROTECTED ENTITIES' BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORTIOUS BEHAVIOR, NEGLIGENCE, OR OTHERWISE.
IF YOU LIVE IN A STATE THAT DOES NOT PERMIT THE FOREGOING LIMITATION, IN NO EVENT SHALL THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF THE PROTECTED ENTITIES TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, LOSSES, AND CAUSES OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, EXCEED THE AMOUNT PAID BY YOU, IF ANY, FOR ACCESSING THE SECURE SITE.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Protected Entities from and against any claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees and court costs) incurred in connection with or arising out of any breach by you of this User Agreement, your use of the Secure Site, or any activity related to your account. You hereby release the Protected Entities from any and all liability related to (1) any inaccuracy, error, or delay in, or omission of (a) any information, (b) the transmission or delivery of information, or (c) access to or use of the Secure Site; (2) any loss or damage arising from or occasioned by (a) any such inaccuracy, error, delay, or omission, (b) non-performance, or (c) any negligent act or omission by the Protected Entities, any "force majeure" (e.g., flood, extraordinary weather conditions, earthquake, or other act of God, fire, war, terrorism, insurrection, riot, labor dispute, accident, action of government, communications, power failure, or equipment or software malfunction), any authorized access or theft, any operator errors, or any communications line failure or systems failures; or (3) any other causes or circumstances beyond the reasonable control of the Protected Entities.
Vanguard Charitable does not endorse, support, sanction or verify the Content. Unless otherwise specifically indicated, Vanguard Charitable does not endorse and has no affiliation with the organizations mentioned, listed in, described on or linked to via the Secure Site, and it makes no representations or warranties whatsoever with regard to those organizations or any other organizations, entity or person.
The Content is provided for education and informational purposes only. Such information or materials do not constitute and are not intended to provide legal, accounting or tax advice and should not be relied on in that respect. We suggest that you consult an attorney, accountant and/or financial advisor to answer any financial or legal questions. Nothing in the Secure Site constitutes brokerage services or investment advice.
Vanguard Charitable makes no claims that the Secure Site or the Content may be lawfully viewed or accessed outside of the United States. If you access the Secure Site or the Content from outside the United States, you do so at your own risk and are responsible for compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.